Wednesday, February 25, 2015

How to Count Wedding Ang Pow Money (With Photos)

We're halfway through Chinese New Year festivities! Isn't it nice collecting ang pow money? This year, I received quite a generous stack from my dear Mum and some nice aunties, even though I'm already married. Thank you for the ang pow money!!! I will use it well!

It has reminded me to resurrect this old post about how to count ang pow money - not the money you get from Chinese New Year, but from wedding dinners so if you're getting married soon, this post is for you!

Honestly, I always thought that counting stacks of money given during weddings is a piece of cake --- until I heard horror stories of tertiary-educated aunties misplacing money or not tracking the monies given properly. So here's a short, succinct blog post on how I helped a friend count all their wedding money all by myself.

Before the ang pow collection

Decide where you will count the ang pow money and make sure the bride and groom tell you exactly who they want to be in the room with you. In my case, I forgot to confirm who could be trusted to be in the same room with me and money so I drove all the way home to count the money in complete security and privacy.

Prepare a zipper bag for all the ang pow you will keep. A zipper bag is best because you can safely zip it up and avoid ang pow packets from accidentally falling out of the bag.

How to count the ang pow money

All the wedding ang pow money in my zipper bag. Ahem, of course it's pink. I bought this from DAISO for only RM5 and also used it for my own wedding.


Step one: Each time you take out money from an ang pow packet, write down the amount on the ang pow packet.


Step two: Tear the ang pow packet (I used scissors) to make sure that you don't leave any money behind.


Step three: Admire all the loot you've taken out. Keep the empty ang pow packets aside for now.


Step four: Sort out all the ang pow money according to it's value. Then bundle each stack in x10s for easy counting. As you can see, I put RM50 x 71pcs on the RM50 bundle so I will always know that stack is worth RM3,550. 

Double check the stack a few times if you're not confident and then write down the calculation on a piece of paper. Admire the stack of money in front of you and feel like a mafia boss.


Step five: Create a simple Excel sheet with the name of the ang pow givers in one column and how much money they gave in another column. If you're not Chinese, you won't understand why we do this but basically, it's because we need to keep track of what each family member/friend gave so we can return money of the same value (or more) in future ang pow-related ceremonies. 

This is the tricky part. The amount listed from the ang pow calculation must tally with the actual amount of money. This can be a little confusing if you're counting money with someone else, but be patient and double check your figures. I should mention that before I settled down to count the monies, I had a takeaway cappucino and French cake to eat while I count.


Step six: Keep all the empty ang pow packets together with the list of ang pow benefactors. This is just in case someone else would like to count the ang pow money. 


Step seven: I keep all the actual money in one zipper bag and all the empty ang pow packets in another zipper bag. I dunno why, I like to put big stacks of money in zipper bags. It's very gangster, right? 

And that's it! You're done counting money in seven steps! Good luck and share this post with any of your friends or relatives who will be responsible for counting money.


(By the way, the photos above are only of the ang pow money taken during the early tea ceremony. If you're counting money for the wedding dinner ceremony, prepare a few more calculators, rubber bands and zipper bags because the amount is probably going to be a lot more).


And since you've read my post all the way here, here are some photos from my friend's wedding day: 



At the church with my awesome friend Miki - looking super blur after counting all that money by myself!


At dinner - looking a little more glammed up. I don't have my fringe anymore and I think I'm going to try going without fringe for awhile. 


All of us accidentally wore all black. But pretty!





Happy wedding! XOXO

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.